Monday, May 26, 2014

Adam Carolla and the Gay Mafia, by Alec Frazier and Autistic Reality

Adam Carolla and Alec Frazier
Make no mistake, I am a big fan of Adam Carolla. I prefer his blunt honesty over endlessly tiptoeing around to be politically correct. I appreciate his realistic point of view of the world. I am well aware and appreciative of the fact that he does not use politically correct terms, and often uses slang. Many people may be offended by his slang, but he does not use any words with the intent to hurt a specific population.

As you all know, I am a gay individual. Adam Carolla got in a fair amount of trouble recently for saying that there is a Gay Mafia that runs Hollywood. I have been listening to Adam Carolla for approximately 15 years now. Adam is often crass, but does not hate gay people. He believes that gay people should have the right to marry, and the right to be treated equally to all other human beings on the planet. Because of this, he is picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church. However, he is a realist who does not use delicate language and politically correct terms all of the time. For this, he is being picketed by GLAAD. I agree with him that gays should be treated equally, and I also agree with him that gays should be more receptive to slang. This brings me to my second point.

Gay individuals and groups are used to being discriminated against. I have encountered many gay groups and individuals in my life as a gay man who have been unwilling to accept the realities of life, including slang, because they are so used to every single word that is hurled at them being an offensive word. It is these gay individuals and groups that are unyielding and rigid in their intolerance of realistic expectations that Adam Carolla speaks of when he mentions a Gay Mafia. He does not mean that they are involved in criminal endeavors, but he does mean that these groups tend to bully people who do not meet their unrealistic standards of political correctness. I know, because I dealt with two such groups at my university, the UB LGBTA, the school’s Gay alliance as well as the Special Populations division of the school’s Wellness office. There is also such a group in the autistic community that has unrealistic expectations about political correctness, and tries to mold everyone to meet an unnatural expectation. They are the Autistic Self Advocacy Network.