Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Application for Amtrak Residency, by Alec Frazier

Alec’s travel mascot, Millard the Buffalo, peers out of an Amtrak train in upstate New York.
I just applied for a residency as a writer for Amtrak, which comes with a private cabin to enjoy the scenery on a cross-country trip by train, during which time I can get much of my necessary writing done. There were two questions on the application. What follows are the questions and the answers. Enjoy!

Why do you want an Amtrak residency?

I live in Buffalo, New York, and have a few long-distance trips to make in the period that the residencies applicable. I have to be in Los Angeles from Wednesday July 9th to Sunday July 13th 2014 for a creative convention. I figure if I can use the residency for my trip, it would allow me to successfully blog and otherwise report about the event without having to worry about costs of transportation. I am also a very firm supporter of train travel, and have used Amtrak before, as well as trains in Europe. I believe that people should travel by train far more than they currently do in this country. I believe that it saves on cost, as well as being an easier ride than the bus. It is also more enjoyable than the airplane, as you get to experience the country around you changing, and remark upon the conditions that provide for such differences. Yet no matter the differences, this is one country, and I believe that Amtrak has a fundamental role in uniting people from across the map.

How would this residency benefit your writing?

I am a big-time blogger, and would make quite a few posts about the experience of traveling cross country by train. In addition, now that I have written my first book (preliminary manuscript attached), I have several other writing ideas, but am often too busy around town to put them to paper. Having a cabin in which to write these ideas down while looking at the beautiful countryside would be a wonderful thing! Having a private cabin would also be very useful, as I have a couple of writing disabilities, and must dictate my writing into voice-activated software. I have also never experienced the pleasure of having a private cabin on an Amtrak train, and would be honored to have that privilege. As you read above, I have a number of events to go to, and I enjoy writing about those events as well as writing for assignments for school and my various work endeavors. Having an Amtrak residency would be a dream come true for a writer like me!

This blog posting is the personal opinion of Alec Frazier, not the professional policy of his advocacy firm, Autistic Reality. If you oppose it, please screen grab it! I am very proud of this opinion!

No comments: