Sunday, March 2, 2014

Advice on a Public Speaking Career, by Alec Frazier and Autistic Reality

Earlier today, I received a message on LinkedIn. Here it is:
Hey Alec so your a professional public speaker? How did you get involved doing that 
- mike 
I would like to share my response with you!

Here's how: 
I gained a reputation for being really good with words and engaging an audience. Last year, the Mitsubishi Electric America Foundation (MEAF) asked me to speak twice at their annual conference. It was at that point that I realized I could slowly build a career doing that on the side. So far, I am not paid for it, although MEAF comped me plane tickets and a hotel on the Pacific Ocean. To continue in that vein, I started building a local career. My Buffalo debut will be at the nation's only Museum of disABILITY History. 
Speaking to large groups is great, but sometimes you can get more done speaking to select individuals! Over the course of many years, I have spoken too many legislators and their staffs. Sometimes, this just gives them food for thought. Sometimes, something major happens. For example, one time I spoke to a staffer for Sen. Chuck Schumer. The next day, he walked into the Senate chamber and proposed a bill. The bill was passed and now we have a government agency called the Community Living Administration. 
For more, please check out my website at: http://www.nothingaboutuswithoutus.net/

I hope this helps! 
Regards, 
Alec Frazier 
This blog posting is both the personal opinion of Alec Frazier, and the professional policy of his advocacy firm, Autistic Reality. If you oppose it, please screen grab it! We are very proud of this opinion!











No comments: